NEWS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
SPMS PTA NOMINATIONS
2024-25 PTA Executive Board
Are You Interested in Being a Nominee for Next Year’s SPMS PTA Executive Board? The SPMS PTA nominating committee is currently compiling a slate of candidates for next year’s executive board. If you have interest in being a nominee for any of the positions listed below please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details and information:
- Vice President
- VP, Ways and Means
- VP, Programs
- VP, Membership
- Recording Secretary
- Financial Secretary
- Financial Reviewer
- Corresponding Secretary
- Wish Night Chair
We invite you to dine out for a great cause at The Habit Burger Grill and support the South Pasadena Middle School Music Boosters. Mark your calendars for Wednesday, January 24, and get ready to indulge in delicious burgers for a purpose!
Date: Wednesday, January 24
Time: 3:00 – 9:00pm
Location: The Habit Burger Grill, 901 Fair Oaks Ave, South Pasadena
Special Instructions: Take Out & Dine-In Only
How to Contribute: Simply mention “SPMS Boosters” when placing your order, and 20% of your purchase will be donated to the South Pasadena Music Boosters.
1/26 (FRI) 8:00AM @ SPMS QUAD
All parents are invited to join us after morning drop off, but we are extending a special invite to 8th grade families since we will have parents from the high school there to answer their questions. During that week of the coffee, 8th graders will have their high school programming where they learn about classes and programming and picking their schedules for next year.
HIGH SCHOOL SUMMER OPPORTUNITIES
1/29 (MON) 7:15PM ZOOM
Current 8th grade families – learn about SPHS Summer Opportunities and more at the SPHS PTSA Forum (after the PTSA General Meeting). Please register for the zoom meeting here.
8TH GRADE PARENTS
PROGRAMS & RESOURCES
Let’s get ready for high school! Check out these programs and resources for 8th Grade parents and students:
- Tuesday 1/23: Middle School Parent Programming Night, 6:30pm. SPHS counselors will discuss academic requirements. Check Parent Square for Zoom link and information.
- Thursday 1/25: Middle School Families Night, 6:30pm @ SPHS. Tour the school and learn about extracurricular activities. Check Parent Square for important information and a packet and campus map to download.
- Friday 1/26: SPMS PTA Coffee 8-9:30am @ SPMS. High School parents will attend and be ready to answer all of your questions about High School.
- Monday 1/29: SPHS PTA Summer Opportunities Forum (register here for Zoom link) Learn about summer opportunities and summer school offerings that incoming 9th graders might want to take advantage of.
- Parent Tiger Guide – A very comprehensive resource of frequently asked questions about the high school.
For Students Only:
- 1/24-1/26: Counselors and SPHS Representatives visit SPHS 8th graders to talk about course programming and extra curricular activities.
- 2/8-9: SPHS Counselors meet with 8th graders to review their course selections for 9th grade
SPHS GET CONNECTED INSTAGRAM & ONLINE ACCOUNTS
Got an 8th Grader attending SPHS next year? Want to check out a game or an event at the High School? Get connected to SPHS groups
Tickets are on sale now for $15 through Friday, 1/26. Starting Monday, 1/29 – 02/01 tickets will go up to $20. Tickets are purchased in the quad during lunch. No tickets will be sold the day of the dance. Please email Jessica Kammer with any dance related questions.
THE FOLLIES 2024
CALL FOR ENTRIES!
Seeking parent volunteers for our hilarious variety show!
- Do you play an instrument?
- Are you in a band?
- Can you juggle, ride a unicycle, do an outrageous party trick?
- Do your dad jokes “slay”?
- Are you the boss in a karaoke studio?
- Ever want to act in a skit?
Then we need YOU! The only skills required are bravery and a sense of humor. This is NOT a professional production! Please recruit your friends and use this link to sign up.
Do you have some sick moves? Do you tear up the dance floor at Parti Gras each year? Then sign up for the fan favorite, Dancing Dads, choreographed by Alison Smith. Rehearsals will be held 1x/week, beginning in January.
MS. BARANETS, SPMS LIBRARY
Ms. Baranets and the SPMS PTA would like to give you big THANK YOU for supporting our library and shopping at Vroman’s during bookfair week. Thanks to your generosity, we raised about $750 for the school library!
Would you like to follow what’s going on in the SPMS library?Follow the library on Instagram @spmstigers
Intramurals 6th – 8th Grade: Dodgeball until 2/7. Info at spmsathleticboosters.org/intramurals. Your student can join any time! All students are welcome.
Competitive Winter Sports: Please check the Athletic Boosters Website for details.