NEWS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
SPMS PTA PRESIDENT’S MESSAGE
Happy New Year SPMS Community! We hope you all enjoyed winter break and spent plenty of time with family and friends. It’s hard to believe we are already halfway through the school year! I’m excited to share what we’ve accomplished so far as well as what we have planned for Q3 and beyond. Thank you for your volunteerism and your commitment to our community!
If you don’t read any further, READ THIS:
We have one more major FUNdraiser this year – The FOLLIES – on March 9! This hilarious variety show features SPMS parents and staff performing for the enjoyment of our families and to raise money to support our campus Wellness Center as well as Train Your Brain and other SPMS student mental health programs. We are recruiting performers and supporting volunteers now. Get more info at spmspta.org/follies/.
Highlights from Q1 & Q2:
- Fundraising & Wish Night: Woo Hoo! We reached our goals for Wish Night, Membership, and No Sweat thanks to you all! Teachers have already spent over $17,000 of their Wish Night funds, which are used only for their classroom needs, and No Sweat funds are being put to great use on other PTA and school programs.
- Mental Health Week: Our biggest PTA program of the year so far provided opportunities for students to become educated about topics such as the adolescent brain, sleep, exercise, nutrition, and social connection, and to learn tips and techniques for reducing anxiety and increasing mindfulness. See a recap here.
- Reflections National Art Contest: We had more than 20 participants in multiple categories including visual arts, literature, photography, dance, and film, and a lovely show in the new art building.
- Parent Education: The PTA hosted well-attended parent education workshops on ADHD and Bullying Prevention with a focus on “relational bullying.”
- Parent Coffees & Socials: We provided opportunities for parents to socialize, connect, and ask questions both at on-campus coffee events and off-campus social events at Mamma’s pizza.
- Ice Cream Sales to Support Sports & 8th Grade Activities: The PTA and Boosters joined forces to start an after school ice cream sales initiative. If you’d like to volunteer to help sell, sign up here.
Here’s what’s coming up:
- The FOLLIES FUNdraiser: Of course! See second paragraph above.
- Community Day: The Boosters Clubs and PTA team up and invite the elementary school families to join us at a home soccer game this winter, watch our band and Tigerettes perform, and experience the middle school spirit.
- Staff Appreciation Luncheons and Treats: We are planning an end-of-Q2 luncheon in January (date TBD). To show our appreciation for our staff, we will continue with a schedule of monthly special treats and quarterly luncheons.
- More Parent Socials: We will offer more opportunities for parents to socialize. Keep an eye out for parent coffees and nighttime social events!
- More Parent Education: Winter and Spring parent education workshop topics include: understanding communication styles; understanding the stages of child development and how to reach our children where they are; determining whether your child needs therapy; creating a discipline system that works; and understanding how rules, rituals and myths affect our families.
- 8th Grade Winter Formal: The PTA will be providing refreshments and volunteer support for this student-organized program.
- Outgoing 8th Grade & Incoming 6th Grade Programs: The PTA will support programming provided by the SPHS and SPMS administrations to educate incoming and outgoing families and ease their transitions.
Want to VOLUNTEER for upcoming programs? Join our volunteer list at spmspta.org/volunteer/.
Here’s to a fabulous Q3! Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us if you have any questions or ideas.
Megan Gardner, President, email@example.com
Tony Chen, EVP
THE FOLLIES 2024
CALL FOR ENTRIES!
We are seeking parent volunteers for our hilarious variety show.
- Do you play an instrument?
- Are you in a band?
- Can you juggle?
- Do your dad jokes “slay”?
- Are you the boss in a karaoke studio?
- Ever want to act in a skit?
Then we need YOU! The only skills required are bravery and a sense of humor. Please sign up (link here) and recruit your friends.
Do you have some sick moves? Do you tear up the dance floor at Parti Gras each year? Then sign up for the fan favorite, Dancing Dads, choreographed by Alison Smith. Rehearsals will be held 1x/week beginning in January.
This will be a fun, we promise!
Cristen Zeisler (email questions here)
8TH GRADE GRAD NIGHT
1/13 (SAT) TICKET PURCHASE DEADLINE
For 8th Grade Parents Only!
For the second year in a row, the 8th graders have voted for a Universal Studios Grad Night adventure instead of a traditional promotion party. The trip will be on Friday May 3, 2024. Purchase a ticket and Learn More at spmspta.org/gradnight. Please purchase by December 1st. Please reach out to us for financial aid.
LIBRARY CORNER – HELP WANTED
MS. BARANETS, SPMS LIBRARY
Did you know that students have access to free audiobooks through the SPMS Library Catalog? Students can go to their English teacher’s google classroom or community classroom for all the links.
Would you like to follow what’s going on in the SPMS library?Follow the library on Instagram @spmstigers
Intramurals 6th – 8th Grade: Info at spmsathleticboosters.org/intramurals. Your student can join any time! All students are welcome.
Competitive Winter Sports: Soccer tryouts this week! Please check the Athletic Boosters Website for details.
We are the fundraising & volunteer support organization for the Music Departments at SPMS and the 3 local elementary schools. We aim to help inspire students, assist the music teachers, seek out new student performance opportunities, expand the music program, and provide bonding activities for music students. JOIN US in developing and maintaining an incredible music program for our talented SPMS and 5th grade music students.